An innovation conference for educators?

dnaflickrquicklikeamule.jpg    Yesterday I wrote about the TED Talks, how inspiring they were, how the Encyclopedia of Life got jumpstarted there, and how I was thinking we should begin an innovation group at our campus.

Then tonight, I read on think:lab that a group of education folks have been quietly planning a world wide “TED Talks” for educators, called Learning D.N.A (Design.in.Action).   To understand why I’m so excited about this, try watching a couple of the TED Talks videos, where world innovators come together to share and brainstorm and urge each other forward.  Just imagining the same kind of forum for education has me thrilled.

As Christian Long explains it on think:lab, like the TED Talks, it’s planned to be a place for “a cross section of bold ideas and passionate thought-leaders.”

There will be both ongoing learning network and an annual conference showcasing innovation.  And the conference will be held in two locations, one overseas and one in the U.S., but it will also be available online.   That’s a conference I can’t wait to attend next summer –maybe it should be appended to the NECC conference next June??  (which happens to be in San Antonio…hmmm.. ) 

The other thing that really excites me about it–other than having a forum for truly talking about innovation in education–is that the network will include students from the get-go, at both the conference and in the online network.  What a way to excite kids about the vitality of learning!

This really spurs me forward on the thought I’ve had in the back of my head this spring about starting an innovation group here, so I’ve just now this minute decided to volunteer to do that for next year.   Anyone want to join in?

(cross posted at our  Vision-ary — Tech committee blog)

photo credit:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/quicklikeamule/232733722/

2 thoughts on “An innovation conference for educators?

1. Carolyn,

I am in love with this idea. Whether or not NECC will be the right place to hold this or not, I am not sure, but needless to say, this is something that needs to happen. Earlier in the year, Christian had advocated that the participants should not be solely the blogerati of the edublogosphere, but rather people from the ancillary field that affect education and social change as a whole. Who do you think should attend? Or should it not be an invitation only event like TED?

2. I do think it should be people from ancillary fields as well.

I mean, for example, I get ideas from all sorts of places like Business Week podcasts, reading Fortune magazine, and looking at websites like Stanford’s Design group.

So I think bringing a diverse group of people together would generate even more electricity.

I worry if it is by invitation some of us who might really want to attend might not be invited 😉 so that would be my only reservation about that!