A gift for the world

flickrlovealykat.jpg    ”My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?”
~ Bob Hope

We’ve decided to give our own children a gift for others this year. 

How about a flock of ducks, a child’s health, a tree to prevent erosion,  a shelter for a child, or a child’s first book?

A few places to consider giving a gift of love:

Heifer Project

Mercy Corps

The GreenBelt Movement 

Austin Children’s Shelter

Habitat for Humanity

Reading is Fundamental

What greater honor can we give our own children or our students than giving a gift in their names?   How better can we show them that the world is truly a community?

image credit:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/alykat/7735593/

2 thoughts on “A gift for the world

1. Hi Carolyn,

This is a wonderful and timely post. My family has been donating to charity in each others’ names for some time. We decided a person only needs so many knick-knacks and ill-fitting sweaters.

I’d remind people also that there are many deserving LOCAL charities to which one can give as well. Our area hosts a “Giving Tree” though which modest Christmas gifts are given to those might not otherwise receive them; the local animal shelter always gets some of my money; and the United Way supports a range of great projects.

All the very best and happy holidays! Have a second piece of pumpkin pie just for me.

Doug

2. Doug,

Great ideas, all. And we had fun matching a charity to the recipient’s interests, too.

Have a great holiday! Thinking I’ll have pecan pie!