Meme: Passion Quilt

“In our youth our hearts were touched with fire” (Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.)

What are you passionate about?  That’s the key to the “passion quilt meme.”   The idea is to pick a photo from Flickr (or take a photo) that reflects what you feel passionately about regarding your students.

At a recent Austin citywide art event, First Night, attendees were given chalk to decorate the First Street bridge.  While walking across it, I ran across this image, sketched in chalk there.   It captured me because it conveyed so much about my views of education.

noborders.jpg

What we can give our students is a belief in their own abilities and in the possibilities before them–belief that isn’t confined by borders of any kind, neither physical nor intellectual.   And we can show them a world that is filled with kindness and support and hope.   We have to believe in the best of them in order to reveal to them their own potential.

Thanks to Robin Ellis for tapping me for this meme.   A further way to extend this is to stitch the photographs from this meme into a “quilt” and that project has already begun.  (If the photo you use is your own, tag it with passionquilt08, so that it can be found on flickr easily.)

Here are the rules:

1. Think about what you are passionate about teaching your students.
  2. Post a picture from a source like FlickrCC or Flickr Creative Commons or make/take your own that captures what YOU are most passionate about for kids to learn about…and give your picture a short title.
  3. Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt” and link back to this blog entry.
  4. Include links to 5 folks in your professional learning network or whom you follow on Twitter/Pownce.

I’m going to tag:

John Pederson

Patrick Higgins  (oops–after I posted this, was reminded that Patrick has already posted his photo!  I’m just tagging him again so that if you haven’t seen his photo, you’ll go visit it now ;))

Scott Schwister

Arthus Erea

quotation credit:  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/passion