Guilty pleasures

This time of year, we librarians frequently get asked what we are reading and would recommend for summer reading.  Well, I’ve been having a bit of trouble responding because that means I would have to admit that right now I am re-reading Heidi!    Yes, Heidi, that childhood classic set in the Alps!  I don’t really even know what drew me to reading it–just saw it in a used bookstore, and had to have it.  

(What I find even more amusing is the odd assortment on my bedside:  Wikinomics duking it out with Heidi!)

So, what is your guilty reading pleasure?  What unexpected title have you picked up lately that you are embarrassed to admit to? and were surprised at?   Tell  what and why?

3 thoughts on “Guilty pleasures

1. I’m currently reading a book I chose because of its weird title: The Thing about Life is That One Day You’ll Be Dead. It’s actually pretty good!

2. I love historical mysteries, with the occasional Regency novel for, well, novelty.

When traveling, I might grab some fluff like the shopaholic series. I can read them, then leave them – they don’t warrant space on my crowded bookshelves at home but do provide a pleasant diversion.

I periodically revisit childhood favorites, like “Five Little Peppers and How They Grew,” “The Secret Garden,” and anything by Louisa May Alcott or Laura Ingalls Wilder.