Annual Edublogs Awards!

Time to nominate some of your favorite blogs for the annual Edublogs awards, sponsored by the wonderful folks at Edublogs!

For more information on how to nominate a blog, check out the instructions here.  For those of you newer to the process, nominations by everyone are welcome, so join in to nominate your favorites!

I’m not into this because of the “contest” part of it, but because it affords me the opportunity to consider what I’m currently reading and thinking about in terms of the blogosphere.   So here goes…

And now to my nominations:

• Best individual blog
    Agnostic, Maybe   — Andy Woodworth’s blog is one of my “must-reads” for news around the library field.   Well-written, insightful, and thought-provoking, it raises issues applicable to both professional and school librarianship.
  • Best group blog
    YouthVoices.net — Group blog where students from around the country can share their passions; started by teachers from the Nat’l Writing Project
  • Best new blog
    StuVoice–Started by a group of students in New York, this is a powerful voice for student input into education.
  • Best student blog
    Nikhil Goyal  — Wow.  I first became aware of Nikhil’s work when I heard him on Education Nation.  He’s a student who is making a powerful case for change in schools.
  • Best ed tech / resource sharing blog
    TechChef4U— Lisa Johnson (who is now a great staff addition to our district) shares a plethora of resources, particularly on iPad apps, but also on good lesson design.
  • Best teacher blog
    MathyCathy–a middle school math teacher explores how to incorporate apps into math lessons; great example of how invisible technology can become in excellent math instruction
  • Best library / librarian blog
    Daring Librarian–This is a tough category for me to choose from(of course), but I have to say the Daring Librarian.  My reason–when I presented a workshop this summer and showed Gwyneth’s site, the hoopla in the audience was pretty impressive!  Gwyneth’s blog has made a big impression on librarians far and wide and encouraged them to use new technologies well.  Kudos!
  • Best administrator blog
    Hooked On Innovation — My colleague and District Instructional Technology Director, Carl Hooker, cleverly and insightfully shares issues, concerns, and apps with 1:1 iPad implementations and other tech issues.
  • Most influential blog post
  • Best individual tweeter
    Andy Carvin  @acarvin
  • Best twitter hashtag
    #firedup
  • Best free web tool
    Todaysmeet.com — Not new, but finally taking off–Todaysmeet.com — glad to finally see livechatting taking its place in more classrooms and workshops.
  • Best educational use of audio / video / visual / podcast
    EdReach — The Backchannel by Jen Wagner — so glad to have Jen back in the podcasting world again and love her curiosity in interviews with teachers and edtech thinkers
  • Best educational wiki
    Anything by Joyce Valenza!
  • Best open PD / unconference / webinar series
    Teacher Librarian Virtual Cafe  #tlchat –Monthly webinar by a group of empowered librarians is well worth a listen!
  • Best educational use of a social network
     Powerful Learning Practice — Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Will Richardson’s work encourages teachers to become part of a social network in their embedded PD program–a powerful way to help teachers become truly engaged in learning socially
  • Best mobile app
    Haiku Deck–the slick integration of flickr and slide creation and good design enticed me;  makes a beautiful product
  • Lifetime achievement
    Unquiet Librarian — for Buffy Hamilton’s work in leading librarians and teachers in information literacy instruction, deep thinking about library issues, and her dedication to school libraries

Hope you check out some of these blogs, and I look forward to reading all the nominations–this is a learning experience as well as a time to recognize the writers influencing our own work.

4 thoughts on “Annual Edublogs Awards!

1. Thank you for the nomination! I’m very flattered to be included with the EduBlog nominations. And thank you for reading!

2. Carolyn, I’m speechless—I certainly do not feel worthy to be nominated for a lifetime achievement award, and I am very humbled by your nomination as you are someone whose work I respect immensely. Simply, thank you.

3. Oh Carolyn, thank you so very much for your nomination! You have quite made my year!

I have long admired your work and have followed your Tweets forever- now I am humbled by your kind recognition and positive feedback.

Most sincerely, thank you.