Tag–I’m it!

I’ve been “tagged” by another blogger, Karl Fisch, at the Fischbowl as part of a Five Things meme.  A meme is  sort of a thematic internet project.  From Blogjargon, it’s defined as “an idea, project, statement or even a question that is posted by one blog and responded to by other blogs.”

In any case, the tagg-ee (me) has to share five things about themselves that readers of the blog might not know, and then tag five other blogs. 

So, here’s a go at my five things:

1.  I have a strange fascination with the Iditarod dog sled race and Alaska.  My favorite books about it are Edges of the Earth by Richard Leo, and Winterdance by Gary Paulsen.

2.  I’m a huge old movie buff.   Give me a film with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Katharine Hepburn or Cary Grant  anytime and I’ll happily while away an hour or two. 

3.  I was never planning to be a librarian, although I can recall organizing my sisters’ book collection in Dewey Decimal order when I was a kid.   Then I forgot about librarianish things for the next fifteen years of my life, and became an English teacher.   Frankly the organizing part of being a librarian is not my favorite aspect–it’s about finding things and about sharing things.  (and the internet!)

4.  My favorite conference is the Internet Librarian West conference….great sessions and great energy, every time. 

5.  When I was twelve, we took a five day backpacking trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.  I swore I would never do that again unless on a mule.  But it did enhance my love of travel and of all things John Denver-ish.

I was ridiculously excited to be tagged by another blog.  I must be a geek.  

Now I get to tag five bloggers…..

A shout out to Christian, Will, Joel, Micki, and Kristin.  I would also give a tap to Karl at Fischbowl, but he’s already been tapped, so I selected two of his teachers’ blogs(Micki and Kristin) that show a real and thoughtful struggle about how education is changing. 

Will Richardson may have already been tapped, but since I read his blog daily, I wanted to recognize that.  Christian is working on school design for the 21st century and has some fascinating thoughts, and Joel is our instructional technologist here and has started his own blog that I wanted to recognize.

Check them out!  (Sorry, I couldn’t resist the librarian pun.)

4 thoughts on “Tag–I’m it!

1. Carolyn,
    I was just reading your ‘taggged’ list. I am also really into the Iditiarod and do a huge unit on it every year complete with an I-Kid-A-Rod – our version of the Iditarod. The students are actually the musher and sled dogs and ‘travel’ from checkpoint to checkpoint. We finish off with a musher’s banquet. My husband and I went to Alaska last June and actually went sled dog riding from an actual musher! How cool. I also like John Denver. Shhhhh

2. Cheryl,

I saw your project last year online somewhere and had recommended it to our elementary librarians!

Nice to meet you! Very cool that you went dog sled riding! How was that?

–Carolyn

3. Carolyn,

Thanks for tagging me! Although I had never heard of this before (I’m usually at least one step behind anything new in the blogging world), I will happily play!

I also want to say thank you for your earlier links to the Photostories my students made. I brought up your post on the overhead projector in class, and my students were pretty excited about it. They love it when they get noticed by somebody besides me.

–Kristin